NCAA Tournament: Big Ten reigns
The Big 12′s NCAA Tournament performance would have to be labeled sub-par. The Big 12 was seeded to get three teams into the Sweet 16; the Big 12 in fact has two, Kansas and Baylor. Missouri’s parting shot was hurtful; the Tigers cost the Big 12 a little status and some money, since whatever Mizzou earned in this NCAA Tournament would stay with the conference.
Here’s how I would rank the conferences’ performance so far, with the leagues’ record in this tournament:
1. Big Ten 9-2: Seeded to have five in the Sweet 16, the Big Ten produced four (Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Indiana). Only Michigan was knocked out, and Purdue nearly took the Wolverines’ slot, taking Kansas to the wire.
2. Big East 11-5: Seeded to have four in the Sweet 16, Marquette, Louisville and Syracuse made it, and Georgetown’s void is filled by Cincinnati. So that’s strong.
3. Big 12 6-4: Texas went out early, and Iowa State and Kansas State were taken out by top seeds (Kentucky, Syracuse), but at least ISU gave the Big 12 a quality win with that thrashing of Connecticut.
4. ACC: 5-3. Seeded to have three in the Sweet 16, only North Carolina and North Carolina State made it. Duke’s first-round loss hurt the ACC the way Missouri’s loss hurt the Big 12. Florida State’s loss to Cincinnati was pivotal; had the Seminoles won, the ACC could argue that it has been as impressive as the ACC.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients