Oklahoma City Thunder: Derek Fisher vs. Scott Brooks
Newest Thunder Derek Fisher fingered himself as old Wednesday night when he talked about his relationship with Scotty Brooks. The 37-year-old Fisher pointed out that he played against his new coach.
And Fisher wasn’t kidding. Back on April 3, 1998, Fisher’s Lakers beat Brooks’ Cavaliers 105-93 in Cleveland. That was Fisher’s second year in the NBA; it was Brooks’ final pro season as a player.
Fisher that night played 16 minutes, scored four points (all on foul shots) and had three assists and three turnovers. Brooks played four minutes; he had two points and two rebounds.
The year before, in the two Laker-Knick games (Brooks was a Knickerbocker that season, 1996-97), Brooks didn’t play.
Brooks, now 46, was 33 that final season. There aren’t many players left in the NBA who were in the league when Brooks played. Let’s see. Jason Kidd, Kevin Garnett, Juwan Howard, Fisher, Kobe Bryant, Ray Allen, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan, Ben Wallace, Kurt Thomas, Chauncey Billups, Grant Hill, Erick Dampier, Marcus Camby, Tracy McGrady, Jerry Stackhouse, Jermaine O’Neal, Tony Battie. I think that’s it.
In the latter years of Brooks’ playing career, his list of teammates includes all kinds of interesting names. In Cleveland, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, LeBron’s sidekick in both Cleveland and Miami. And Danny Ferry, who went on to become the Cleveland general manager and who was in Oklahoma City last week for the Thunder-Spurs game. Even badboy Shawn Kemp.
The year before, 1996-97, Brooks was a Knickerbocker. His teammates included Patrick Ewing, Larry Johnson, John Starks and Charlie Ward.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21771Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7615Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6773OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6490OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5293Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4032Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3938Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3498Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients