Oklahoma City Thunder: Adjusting to new faces
Derek Fisher now wears Thunder blue, not Laker gold. Which has got to be weird for Fisher. But it’s also got to be weird for his new Thunder teammates.
Think about it. You’re in the middle of a game. You have to make a split-second decision to pass the ball, your arms rise to zip the ball and you catch a glimpse of the face attached to the targeted jersey. Derek Fisher’s.
Doesn’t something inside say stop? Doesn’t something inside say, hey, he’s not with us. I mean, Nick Collison has spent almost a decade trying to keep the ball from Fisher. Even the young guys — Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, James Harden — have played nearly 20 games against Fisher. And then without so much as a practice, he’s with you, not against you. Don’t your instincts kick in and say, whoa?
No, they don’t, said Nazr Mohammed, “and I don’t know why. You would think you get a new teammate, you’d be scared, a little apprehensive. But it doesn’t really happen.”
I know, Fisher is wearing the jersey, but no good basketball player just sees the jersey. He has to recognize the face, too. Has to know when’s the right time to throw the ball to a certain teammate and when’s not.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 83911Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 66115Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33602Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 20416Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 18059Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 13064Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 9549Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 8530Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8480Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 8114Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients