NCAA Tournament: Big 12 holds its own
Thanks, Kansas. The Jayhawks historically have propped up Big Eight/Big 12 basketball, and 2012 is no different. KU’s rise to the Final Four puts the Big 12 on even footing with every other conference.
The Big 12. The Big East (Louisville). The Southeastern Conference (Kentucky). The Big Ten (Ohio State). All are represented in the Final Four. Whoever wins the title also brings home the flag for best conference in college basketball. Here’s how the leagues rank going into the Final Four:
1. Big Ten: 11-5 record. If Ohio State beats Kansas, that’s as many victories (12) as teams in the league. That’s a good performance.
2. Big East: 13-7. Lots of wins, which is monumental. Not like 1985, when Georgetown, Villanova and St. John’s made the Final Four, and the Big East had 19 NCAA victories. But 13 wins out of a 16-team league is not as impressive as 11 wins out of a 12-team conference. Close, but not quite.
3. Big 12: 9-5. Missouri didn’t help the league at all, going out the door with a first-round loss. But Baylor’s three victories — the Bears lost to Kentucky in the South Regional final — along with KU puts the Big 12 in the running. While the Bedlam schools take a hiatus from meaningful basketball, Baylor has gone to a regional final twice in three years.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6703Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6459Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5978Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients