Oklahoma football: Bob Stoops no Easy Rider
The other night, just a few minutes before the news broke that Bobby Petrino was out atArkansas, I chatted with Bob Stoops. I knew Stoops had no interest in talking about Petrino, but I did ask him one related question. “Do you ride motorcycles?”
Stoops’ answer was classic.
“No. I did in college. I had one. Rode around. I didn’t have much to lose then. I had that GA (graduate assistant) salary, which wasn’t a whole lot. Haven’t had one since. It’s been quite awhile. Don’t plan on getting one, either.”
Stoops said a bunch there. What was most profound was the line about not having much to lose back in his college days atIowa. He was kidding, of course, but he also wasn’t. He didn’t yet have a family. Wasn’t yet making millions. Didn’t yet have dozens of families depending on him to keep a program running smoothly.
Motorcycles didn’t bring down Petrino. Petrino was brought down through a series of awful decisions and terrible behavior. Petrino was brought down by his own (lack of) character.
But cycles – especially ridden without a helmet, with your 25-year-old mistress aboard – are a symptom of those poor choices. Motorcycles bring an enjoyment/thrill aspect to people’s lives. For multiple and apparent reasons, Stoops didn’t need additional thrills. Petrino did.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12675Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11502Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6315Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5431Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 5078Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4467OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3964How to help tornado victims
- 3897Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3600Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3091Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients