Oklahoma State football: Gundy not interested in alternating QBs
You have to be of a certain age to remember this, but football coaches once didn’t have an aversion to a two-quarterback system. I’m not talking about the Landry Jones/Blake Bell tango in Norman, or the Mark Sanchez/Tim Tebow dance expected inNew Jersey.
But in the 1950s, with Rams Bob Waterfield and Norm Van Brocklin, and the ‘70s, with Cowboys Roger Staubach and Craig Morton, coaches would mix and match quarterbacks with situations and times in games.
Nebraskawon a national title in 1970 with Van Brownson and Jerry Tagge alternating.Floridadid the same as recently as 2006, with Chris Leak and Tebow. But the ’06 Gators is the aberration now.
And Mike Gundy doesn’t plan to change it, even though he has three QBs battling for playing time – J.W. Walsh, Clint Chelf and Wes Lunt.
“I don’t want to have two quarterbacks,” Gundy said. “I’ve done that before. I’m not saying we won’t, ‘cause nobody knows what’s going to happen. But I think it’s better to have a starter at quarterback and go into the season saying, ‘He’s our starter and we’re going to stay with him.’ Not that if he doesn’t perform well, we won’t give another a guy a chance.”
In 2001, as offensive coordinator Gundy down the stretch started Aso Pogi, with the plan of inserting Josh Fields. Gundy had some special packages for Zac Robinson to play with Bobby Reid, but not any kind of real platoon system.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 85341Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16721OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12445Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11152Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9705Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9037How to help tornado victims
- 8773Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8553Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 7603Excessive speed, alcohol, operator inattention contributed to fatal boat crash, report states
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients