Big 12 football: Where were Seminoles last autumn?
Florida State might be interested in the Big 12, or the Seminoles might be posturing just to leverage the ACC. Who knows? But here’s my question.
The factors sowing Florida State discontent — budgetary and scheduling concerns, the basketball-centric nature of the ACC, the inferior television contract — were largely known a year ago. There’s nothing new on the landscape that has soured the Seminoles. Sure, the TV contract is new, but everyone in the ACC largely knew what was coming.
So, if Florida State really does have a wandering eye, why didn’t the Seminoles check out the Big 12 a year ago? Think about it, last autumn, after Missouri bolted for the SEC, the Big 12 was back to nine schools and absolutely needed a 10th. That’s what led to the great West Virginia/Louisville wrestling match to join the Big 12.
Why not Florida State then? The Seminoles had to know the Big 12 was desperate for a replacement. Everyone else in America knew it. Florida State had to know that it would have zipped to No. 1 on the Big 12′s wish list.
I suppose you could argue that the Seminoles didn’t figure the Big 12 would go that far outside the geographic footprint. But when word spread that West Virginia was being targeted, wouldn’t that make Florida State realize that some people were thinking outside the box? If Florida State wanted to be in the Big 12, seems like it would be on its way.
So one of two things has happened. Either the Seminoles aren’t interested, or the Seminoles have had an epiphany. They’ve had a change of mind, either crossed the line with the ACC or have been convinced of Big 12 stability or some combination thereof.
A Big 12 source told me Wednesday that there has been no discussion between the parties. Of course, if Florida State really is interested, the Big 12 would take the call. But I have to believe that if Florida State was interested, it already would be in the Big 12.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 27538Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15649Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10393Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9809Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9381Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8402Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8325Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7545Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7311Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6526UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients