Mickey Mantle: Yankees add new exhibit
Steve Katz is an old friend of this blog and my column. I found Steve years ago, somewhere on the Internet, when I needed a big Mickey Mantle fan. I can think of no one bigger. I think I last wrote about Steve in October, on the occasion of Mantle’s 80th birthday. You can read that blog here.
I also wrote about Steve on the 40th anniversary of Mantle’s last game. You can read that column here.
Friday, Steve emailed me again, to let me know more updates about his longtime hero. I’ll share it with you.
“Hi Berry, Just wanted to touch base and give you some information I think you’d be interested in. First of all, on this date, June 8th in 1969 the New York Yankees retired Mickey Mantle’s number 7 on Mickey Mantle Day held at Yankee Stadium. I was lucky enough to attend that historical and emotional day, sitting in the upper deck in right field at the old Stadium with my brother, Jeff. What a day!
“The next bit of info I’d like to share can be accessed at yankees.com. At Yankee Stadium, included in their museum, they have added a special Mickey Mantle exhibit. Once you get into the Yankees’ website just click on ‘Yankees Museum opens new Mickey Mantle exhibit.’ I’m going to the game on Sunday and can’t wait to check it out. They said it will be open through 2013 and then whatever was on display is scheduled to go to the Mickey Mantle Museum in Tulsa, OK. If that ever happens, I think I’d have to make it my business to take that trip!
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 28347Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 17448Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7187OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5536OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4738Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3702Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3694Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3367Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3246Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients