Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy moving up tenure list
Mike Gundy is moving up the list fast. Gundy now is tied for 15th among the 120 major-college football coaches on job longevity. Hard to believe.
Seems like Gundy’s been on the job for just a little while, but 2012 marks his eighth season as head coach. And since Gundy is coming off two historic seasons – OSU’s first 11-win season, followed by OSU’s first conference championship – and just signed a huge contract extension, it seems likely that Gundy will move up this list in the next few years.
Georgia’s Mark Richt. Cal’s Jeff Tedford. Oregon State’s Mike Riley. All kinds of coaches are under a certain pressure to win soon.
And others are getting on the old side. Virginia Tech’s Frank Beamer will be 66 in October, Troy’s Larry Blakeney will be 65 in September, Central Florida’s George O’Leary will be 66 in August, UTEP’s Mike Price is 66 and Nevada’s Chris Ault will be 66 in November.
Meanwhile, Gundy turns 45 in August looking like he will be a long-timer with the Cowboys
Here are the 21 longest-tenured coaches in college football, with the season in which they started their current job:
1. Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech, 1987
2. Larry Blakeney, Troy, 1991
3. Mack Brown, Texas, 1998
4. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma, 1999
4. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa, 1999
6. Gary Patterson, TCU, 2000
7. Jim Grobe, Wake Forest, 2001
7. Gary Pinkel, Missouri, 2001
7. Mark Richt, Georgia, 2001
10. Jeff Tedford, California, 2002
11. Mike Riley, Oregon State, 2003
12. George O’Leary, Central Florida, 2004
12. Mike Price, Texas-El Paso, 2004
12. Chris Ault, Nevada, 2004
15. Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State, 2005
15. Bronco Mendenhall, Brigham Young, 2005
15. Frank Solich, Ohio U., 2005
15. Bill Cubit, Western Michigan, 2005
15. Kyle Whittingham, Utah, 2005
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24367Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12839Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7010OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5994OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5476Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5061Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3886Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3822Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3626Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3264Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients