All-Star Game: Who are these guys?
Luke Bryan sang the national anthem Tuesday night in the All-Star Game. I had never heard of him, though Wikipedia tells me he’s a country singer.
But it’s OK. I didn’t know half the players, either. What a difference. Once, I knew every major league starter and virtually every player. Now, I don’t know the all-stars.
For grins, I gave myself a quiz. I went down the all-star rosters and separated them into three groups.
1) Names I knew and for which team they played;
2) Names I knew but didn’t know for which team;
3) Never heard of them.
Out of 74 all-stars, I could name the team of 33. Less than half. Twenty-five, more than a third, I had never heard of. The Ryan Cook, Matt Wieters, Chris Sale, Fernando Rodney, Asdrubal Cabrera, Mark Trumbo, Pablo Sandoval crowd. I don’t know those guys.
I’d say we’re both to blame, baseball and me. I haven’t followed the sport the last 10 years or so like I used to. The steroid scandal turned me off. The NBA’s arrival in town filled my brain with all kinds of hoops information where once was warehoused baseball stuff.
But baseball hasn’t helped. America has slowly stopped watching, too. Fans still watch their local teams, but the sport is losing its national appeal.
There was a time when the All-Star Game was must-see television. Now it’s who’s-he television.
33 Heard of: Prince Fielder, Robinson Cano, Derek Jeter, Josh Hamilton, Jose Bautisa, David Ortiz, Matt Harrison, Justin Verlander, Joe Mauer, CC Sabathia, Jered Weaver, Paul Konerko, Elvis Andrus, Ian Kinsler, Mike Trout, Billy Butler, Yu Darvish, Buster Posey, Joey Votto, Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Stephen Strasburg, Cole Hamels, R.A. Dickey, Matt Cain, Yadier Molina, David Wright, Chipper Jones, Ryan Braun, Andrew McCutchen, Bryce Harper, Matt Holliday, David Freese
25 Never heard of: Ryan Cook, Matt Wieters, Jim Johnson, Chris Sale, Chris Perez, Fernando Rodney, Asdrubal Cabrera, Mark Trumbo, Adam Jones, Pablo Sandoval, Craig Kimbrel, Aroldis Chapman, Gio Gonzalez, Wade Miley, Lance Lynn, Joel Hanrahan, Carlos Ruiz, Starlin Castro, Ryan LaHair, Jose Altuve, Ian Desmond, Jay Bruce, Carlos Gonzalez, Giancarlo Stanton, Michael Bourn,
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 30214Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 19534Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7073OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6093Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5026OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4433Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3498Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3460Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3276Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
- 3162Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients