Oklahoma State football: OSU gets TCU at home two straight years
OSU is considering a neutral-site game against Mississippi State in Houston to open the 2013 season. Our man John Helsley reported the story, which you can read here.
The stumbling block is that OSU already has a game scheduled at Texas-San Antonio in 2013; the Cowboys don’t want to play two non-conference games away from Boone Pickens Stadium. But here’s why it’s feasible: OSU will play five Big 12 home games next season, same as this season.
TCU will play in Stillwater in both 2012 and 2013. And you just thought those funky scheduling trips were over, whereby OU had to go to Stillwater two straight years and OSU had to go to Austin and Lubbock two straight years and Texas Tech had to go to Norman two straight-years.
The reason TCU is coming back to Stillwater in 2013 is the Horned Frogs, upon joining the Big 12, inherited Texas A&M’s schedule.
The original 2011 football schedule had A&M playing at OSU. But the Aggies requested relief, apparently to stage seven home games. A&M had signed that contract to play Arkansas in Arlington, so the Ags had just two non-conference home games. OSU agreed to switch, but with the payback that A&M would play in Stillwater in both 2012 and 2013.
When A&M jumped to the Southeastern Conference, TCU was invited to take the Ags’ place. Also, West Virginia eventually replaced Missouri in the Big 12.
The scheduling of the 10-team Big 12 format had been lengthy. More than 1,000 models were considered. Rather than go back and start from scratch, TCU just inherited A&M’s schedule and West Virginia took over Missouri’s. Unfortunately for TCU, the Frogs were stuck with playing in Stillwater two straight years.
So the Cowboys, who won the Big 12 last season despite playing only four conference home games, get five league home games two straight years.
In 2013, the league’s scheduling rotation will be where it’s supposed to be.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7436Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6757Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6289UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients