Oklahoma football: Expect Damien Williams to play
You haven’t heard much about OU tailback Damien Williams. But expect to see No. 26 Saturday night at Sun Bowl Stadium, when the Sooners open the 2012 season against Texas-El Paso.
Bob Stoops said Monday that “Williams has really been impressive and will definitely get a bunch of snaps.”
Williams is listed as the co-backup tailback, along with Brennan Clay. Clay has been a good soldier but has not been productive in his two seasons. Williams, a junior-college transfer from Arizona Western, will get the chance to show what he can do.
OU’s three most proven tailbacks are Dom Whaley, Roy Finch and Trey Millard. Whaley will start but is coming off that broken ankle suffered last October against Kansas State. Finch is playing mostly slot receiver. Millard is a fullback, and you know how Stoops loves his fullbacks.
That leaves Williams and Clay. Williams was a first-team juco all-American last season, when he rushed for 1,931 yards and 26 touchdowns.
Stoops said Clay “has been a mainstay,” and he’s a solid player. But he’s just not productive. Clay’s longest career rush in 111 carries is 13 yards.
Plugging Williams does not mean Whaley won’t play the majority of snaps.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 30612Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15589Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10266Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9653Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9634Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8172Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8167Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7475Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6996Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6363UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients