Oklahoma State football: Calvin Barnett a difference-maker?
Mike Gundy is high on defensive tackle Calvin Barnett, a junior-college transfer.
Listen to Gundy talk about Barnett: “Calvin Barnett should give us a good push in the middle. We haven’t had a good push in the middle in years.”
Gundy basically is saying Barnett is OSU’s best defensive tackle in maybe a decade.
“We’ve been very average at tackle,” Gundy said. “And we’ve had guys playing tackle that shouldn’t be playing tackle. Now you get Barnett in there, if he comes through … he hasn’t done anything in a game yet. What’s his nerves going to be like at the end of the third quarter. How’s he going to hold up on 3rd-and-2 out there? When he has to play 55 (plays) instead of 15?”
So we’ll find out a lot more about Barnett on Saturday night against Arizona. But the ability to get that push – the ability to dent an offensive line, to push the front wall back instead of being pushed – is a great place to start.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 4046At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 3397Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 3003How to help tornado victims
- 2509Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 1115Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 620Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 439Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 371Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 366Hospitals treat more than 120 after Oklahoma tornado
- 314OKC Thunder: Thunder stuck with worst-case scenario
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients