Big 12 football: Week 2 rankings
Time to rank the Big 12 football teams, based on what they’ve done so far. Not what we think they will do. Not what they’ve done in the past. What they’ve done through two weeks. And you’ll be surprised at No. 1.
1. Iowa State 2-0: A victory at Iowa and a home win a week ago over Tulsa. The Hawkeyes are no great shakes, but to beat a perennial Big Ten bowl team on the road is more impressive than anything anyone else in the Big 12 has done. Plus the victory over Tulsa is a solid win. Winning on the road is a big deal. That’s why so many coaches don’t want to play on the road.
2. Kansas State 2-0: The 52-13 rout of Miami will sufficiently scare the rest of the Big 12. The Wildcats licked the Hurricanes and it could have been worse. Of course, K-State was tied with Missouri State 9-9 in the third quarter of the season opener, so let’s not pretend the ‘Cats are unbeatable. But the rout of Miami packs a punch.
3. West Virginia 1-0: The Mountaineers had the week off. But that 69-34 thrashing of Marshall showed that WVU’s offense is what it’s cracked up to be.
4. Baylor 1-0: The Bears also had the week off. But their rout of SMU still has legs. But looming is a very interesting game. Friday night, Sept. 21. Baylor at Louisiana-Monroe, conqueror of Arkansas.
5. OU 2-0: OSU’s meltdown in Tucson shows that any road victory is to be appreciated, even in El Paso.
6. Texas Tech 2-0: The Red Raiders won 58-10 on the road at Texas State,which was coming off a road win at Houston.
7. Texas 2-0: The Longhorns lead the Mountain West Conference, via home victories over Wyoming and New Mexico. But next comes a road game, at Ole Miss. The Rebels aren’t any good, but homefield advantage always is.
8. TCU 1-0: The Horned Frogs blasted Grambling State 56-0, but like Savannah State, Florida A&M and any other I-AA foe you want to name, that doesn’t count.
9. OSU 1-1: The Cowboys were awful at Arizona on Saturday night. Get better, or drop steeply down the Big 12 standings.
10. Kansas 1-1: The Jayhawks lost at home to Rice. KU might not win another game.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients