Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy laments new safety rules
Mike Gundy was conflicted Monday. In some ways, he thinks football has lost some of its soul. It’s a violent game, and some of the new rules take away the physicality, in the name of safety.
But then Gundy was asked about the horrific injury suffered by Tulane defensive back Devon Walker in a game at Tulsa U. on Saturday. Walker suffered a fractured cervical vertebrae and underwent spinal surgery Sunday.
Gundy says when he sees an injury like that on television, “I change the channel. Just makes me sick. It’s the worst part of what we do. Unfortunately, everybody knows what they sign up for. But it’s scary. That incident is nothing that anybody could do to stop.”
Walker was injured in a collision with a teammate.
“What do you say, other than it just makes you sick?” Gundy said. “But it is a contact sport. Unfortunately, there’ll be some things happen.”
But Gundy still says the game should not be overly-sanitized.
“Best way to put it, I don’t necessarily agree with a lot of the way it’s called now,” Gundy said. “But nobody cares what I think. There’s a certain aspect of the game that’s been taken away. You know what you signed up for.
“If it’s a play where the whistle hasn’t blown and you’re on the field, you ought to be able to play the game. Whether we want to admit it or not, it’s a violent game.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20967Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17573Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12128Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9661Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9194Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8604Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8594Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 8358Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4994Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 4806OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients