Another week of Big 12 rankings, and conference play starts to provide a little clarity:
1. Kansas State: The victory in Norman remains the most impressive accomplishment by a Big 12 team, and KSU’s win over Miami keeps looking better.
2. Texas: The win in Stillwater was big for the Longhorns, who now are 2-0 on the road.
3. Texas Tech: Winning in Ames is no small thing.
4. Iowa State: Losing at home to Tech hurts, but the Cyclones still have to two decent wins, which is more than most.
5. Baylor: I know, strange for Baylor to be ranked ahead of West Virginia. But that 70-63 classic was in Morgantown, so in terms of impressiveness, Baylor was not overshadowed by the Mountaineers. Plus Baylor has the road win at Louisiana-Monroe.
6. West Virginia: The Mountaineers’ most impressive win is by seven points at home over Baylor. If the game had been 35-28, we would be talking about, man, that was tough and WVU didn’t exactly dominate. But because it was 70-63, all we can say is, wow.
7. TCU: The Frogs don’t win pretty. They just win. Not over anyone any good just yet.
8. OU: The Sooners go into October without a victory of substance, unless you count at El Paso.
9. OSU: The Cowboys go into October without a victory of substance, and there’s no unless.
10. Kansas: At least one of these slots is easy to pick.