NFL: Parity run amok
I know everyone gets tired of hearing about NFL parity. But this is getting ridiculous.
If the Broncos beat the Chargers in Monday Night Football, through six full weeks there will be two — TWO! — AFC teams with winning records. The Texans and Ravens each are 5-1, and both are coming off shaky Sundays. Green Bay drilled the Texans 42-24 in Houston, and the Ravens, also at home, survived the Cowboys 31-29 when Dallas missed a two-point conversion and a 51-yard field goal in the final minute.
If the Broncos win, which is no stretch at all, the AFC will have seven 3-3 teams, including all four teams in the AFC East. The next me or anyone else likens something to NFL parity, call us out on it. There is no such thing.
Over in the NFC, seven teams have winning records and just two teams have records worse than 2-3 — the Panthers and Saints both are 1-4, and no one really believes either team stinks. Think about that. The NFC is truly without a bad team. The AFC has Cleveland and Oakland and Kansas City and Jacksonville, but every team in the NFC has something going for it.
I don’t do NFL team rankings, but how could you possibly even try? Atlanta, Chicago, Baltimore, Houston, San Francisco, the Giants. The top is sort of doable, but after that? How do you rank teams 8-28? It’s like the Big Ten.
The NFL has been big on parity for decades, but I’ve never seen anything like this. If the playoffs started today, the AFC would have four teams with .500 records.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14417OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 14044Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8989Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7004Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5982Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5451Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5357Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 4703Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4345Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4109'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients