Oklahoma football: More statistical history from OU-Texas
In the history of OU football, never had three Sooners produced at least 150 all-purpose yards in a single game. Until Saturday. In a 63-21 rout of Texas, not only did OU have three 150-yard all-purpose men, the Sooners nearly had four.
All-purpose yardage is determined by rushing, receiving and return yards.
Against Texas, Damien Williams rushed for 167 yards and had a 10-yard reception. So that’s 177 yards.
Trey Millard rushed for 45 yards and had 119 yards receiving. So that’s 164 yards.
Brennan Clay rushed for 59 yards and had 96 yards on three kickoff returns. So that’s 155 yards.
And flanker Justin Brown had 73 receiving yards, plus 67 punt return yardage. So that’s 140 yards.
Amazing. The nugget comes from OU historian Mike Brooks, who has an affinity for all-purpose yards. In fact, he’s trying to get the NCAA to recognize fumble return yardage in all-purpose, since the NCAA includes interception return yardage. To not count fumble yardage makes no sense.
But we digress. The all-purpose onslaught shows the versatility of the Sooners, at least against Texas.
Williams largely was a one-dimensional player against the Longhorns, though he had a big receiving day the week before against Texas Tech. But Millard was a monster running and receiving. Clay might have had his best game as a Sooner; good running, plus excellent kickoff returns. And Brown showed his first flashes of punt return prowess, which was promised from his days at Penn State.
All-purpose is a fun stat, since we don’t really look at it much. Here are the five best single-game all-purpose totals in OU history:
1. Greg Pruitt, 1971, Kansas State: 374 yards. 294 yards rushing, 34 yards receiving, 46 yards on kickoff returns. One of the most individual games in OU history. Pruitt ran wild in a 75-28 victory.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13429Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 13120OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10230Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 8771Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7569Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5530Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5367Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4837Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4836Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4267Several factors come into play on whether Kevin Martin returns to Thunder
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients