Oklahoma football: Players have no clue on the Notre Dame series
OU players are not caught up in the tradition of the OU-Notre Dame game Saturday. The Sooners themselves don’t know anything about 1999, the last time these historic rivals played, much less 1957, when the Irish famously ended OU’s 47-game winning streak.
“These kids are 18, 19, 21, 22 years old,” Bob Stoops said. Stoops said he can engage his players all he wants on what happened “way back then,” but it won’t do any good. Same, he says, as talking about an opponent from a year ago. “It doesn’t relate.”
Stoops is half right. Certainly what happened the year before has an effect on players. But what happened 55 years ago has no effect on players.
OU newcomer Justin Brown said he had heard that Notre Dame had once busted “some winning streak.” No holes in that theory.
“The only history I’ve got goes way back to ’99,” Stoops said, and he was glad to talk about that game. Notre Dame trailed 30-14 but rallied for a 34-30 victory in Stoops’ first season as the Sooner coach. “I remember getting up 17 points and we didn’t know how to win,” Stoops said. “They hadn’t won. They were beat down. A bunch of kids who for five years had losing records. No one believed in them.
“At one point, we were up 17 points (actually 16) in the first half, and I had a bunch of guys laughing and giggling. I’m like, shoot, these guys have no idea how to win and how to finish the game out. Sure enough, they came back and beat us.”
When he returned to Norman, Stoops said, he told his staff that they had to teach the Sooners how to win, how to not be satisfied.
“Showing ‘em the next day, or Monday, look what we’re doing so well to be up 17 points,” Stoops said. “Look what we didn’t do in the second half. Just because you’re up 17 doesn’t mean you’re going to win.”
Stoops said he likes his players to know the tradition of the program, the great players and the great teams and the great games. He’s even shown some OU-Nebraska highlights before games against the Cornhuskers. But he won’t do that against Notre Dame. For one thing, the Irish are 8-1 all-time vs. OU. Not a lot of highlights.
“Nebraska’s relevant in that at the time, same conference, going for the championship. A larger history there. Lot more games played against each other.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients