Oklahoma State football: Beware K-State’s defense
To upset second-ranked Kansas State on Saturday, OSU needs a big game out of its offense. But even that will be a tall order. Hidden by all the Collin Kleinmania is this little nugget. The Wildcats are playing some defense.
KSU is 13th nationally in scoring defense, 17.1 points a game. The ‘Cats are 30th in total defense, 340.4 yards per game. That’s impressive, considering that K-State already has played some of the prime Big 12 offenses (OU, Texas Tech, West Virginia).
KSU gave up 13 points to Miami, 19 to the Sooners, 14 to West Virginia and 24 to Texas Tech.
“They’re a lot like Iowa State,” said OSU offensive coordinator Todd Monken. “They’re real sound, they don’t gamble a lot, they keep everything in front of them and their offense does a good job of limiting their exposure on defense. They’re really well-coached and their linebacker, Arthur Brown, is a really good player. They have a lot of juniors and seniors who have played a lot of football at the junior college level, so they don’t have a lot of holes. I don’t know what we’ll be able to expose other than we have to play good football and not turn it over.”
Truth is, K-State’s defense is a lot like K-State’s offense. It just doesn’t make mistakes. So the Wildcats will test an OSU team that ranks No. 1 nationally in total offense (586.1 yards per game) and is sixth in scoring offense (44.3).
“They’re just a sound defense,” said OSU guard Lane Taylor. “They’ll be in the gap when they need to be there. They aren’t going to bust coverages. All around, they’re just a solid defensive team.”
The Cowboys will be hard-pressed to hold down Kansas State’s offense. The Wildcats have scored 55 points each of the previous two Saturdays, against Tech and West Virginia. But OSU might have to limit KSU to half that to have a chance to win Saturday night.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients