Big 12 football: Collin Klein vs. Tim Tebow
Someone in the Owen Field pressbox the other night, I can’t remember who, made a great analogy about Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein. He’s like Tim Tebow, except for one thing. Tebow was surrounded by NFL talent all over the Florida roster. Klein is not.
Both quarterbacks ran like battering rams. Defenders could drag them down on occasion but would have the bruises to prove it. Neither quarterback had a passing motion that would make instruction books, but their passes were deadly effective. Both were poster boys for clean living and leadership.
OSU knows all about Klein. He was a load in K-State’s 52-45 loss in Stillwater last November. Now Klein is playing even better as his Wildcats are 8-0, ranked second nationally and host the Cowboys on Saturday night.
“I don’t know how you simulate him in practice,” said OSU defensive coordinator Bill Young. “We don’t have anyone that looks like him, throws like him or runs like him. We’ll do our best there. The big thing about him is, I don’t know if you can really stop him — you just try to contain him as best as you can. You try to minimize the offensive plays and yardage he gets.”
In a league with Geno Smith, Seth Doege, Landry Jones and Nick Florence quarterbacking, Klein leads the Big 12 in pass efficiency. He’s completed 71 percent of his passes, with 12 touchdowns and just two interceptions. Klein ranks second nationally in pass efficiency, behind only Alabama’s A.J. McCarron. McCarron is an incredibly efficient quarterback and has a growing Heisman campaign. But he’s nowhere near as valuable to the Tide as Klein is to the Wildcats.
Klein also ranks fourth in Big 12 rushing, 79.2 yards per game. He’s rushed for 16 touchdowns.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients