Oklahoma City Thunder: A remarkable evening for Miss Leola
Leola Boyd is one of the reasons I love living in Oklahoma.
What happened to Leola Boyd is another reason I love living in Oklahoma.
I introduced you to Miss Leola last week. She’s the 85-year-old Thunder fan from Okeene, in northwestern Oklahoma, who thought if she donated $40 from her Social Security check, and I got others to do the same, the Thunder might be able to keep James Harden. You can read that column here.
The morning the column ran, I got a call from an Oklahoma City man who has front-row tickets to the Thunder. He wanted to donate his two seats to the home opener against Portland. He wanted Miss Leola to attend the game. His only request was that he remain anonymous.
I called Miss Leola, she was thrilled at the offer and we worked out a plan. I picked up the tickets on Thursday and took them to my office. Miss Leola and her son, who lives in Enid, drove down Friday and came by The Oklahoman building. I was gone to Iowa, but my colleagues were ready and waiting to pass off the tickets, and off went Miss Leola on her grand adventure, to see the team she had passionately cheered for but had never seen in person.
I called her this week to get a recap of the night. Here’s what she said:
“There just wasn’t any words to even express what I went through. It was wonderful. And my son really enjoyed it. I’ll never forget it.
“We parked just fine. I was so glad my son knew his way around. Some of the buildings, my son knew the name of them.
“Everyone we saw was just wonderful. Couple of women at the arena said, ‘Wasn’t your picture in the paper?’ Yes it was, I told them.
“We went in and ate (at the courtside club). It was just a wonderful, wonderful experience. Every time I turned around, something new or someone new was introduced. I just couldn’t ask for anything greater, I guess. I just really enjoyed the whole thing.
“The couple that was sitting by us, they knew who had donated the seats, but they wouldn’t tell me who it was. I told them to tell this person I really appreciated it. They were so nice.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19478Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17081OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14402Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9893Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 9505Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7874Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7743Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7139Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6156Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 5570Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients