Oklahoma State football: Clint Chelf’s high school coach impressed
Tommy Parker kept telling me last spring that Clint Chelf could quarterback the Oklahoma State Cowboys. Then we saw it for our self.
Chelf, replacing the injured Wes Lunt in the second half, completed 16 of 27 passes for 233 yards and a touchdown. Chelf threw a late interception when OSU was in desperation mode, but his performance was superb. We still don’t know if Lunt will return for the West Virginia game on Saturday, but if the Cowboys have to return to Chelf, their third-team quarterback, it is clear that all is not.
“He played well,” said Parker, Chelf’s coach at Enid High School. “Especially given the circumstances. Kansas State’s an awfully good football team. He came out and played well with not a lot of prep time.
“I’ve felt he was capable of that all along. He got his opportunity and made pretty good on it.”
Parker said that if Chelf gets to play again, and continues to produce, “ultimately, the coaches will have a real hard decision to make.” Both Lunt and J.W. Walsh have played well this season, but Lunt now twice has been injured, and Walsh has a leg fracture that will sideline him apparently until the end of the season.
Chelf’s passes were on accurate and sharp. Questions about his arm strength seemed to fade with just the first few passes.
“I’ve always, I don’t know, I’ve never seen that he doesn’t have the arm to play at that level,” Parker said. “I don’t think they would have recruited him if he couldn’t throw. He’s got the arm and always has had.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients