Oklahoma State football: A road to the Fiesta Bowl
A few weeks ago, we did some bowl scenarios, and Oklahoma State in the Fiesta Bowl was not included, because at the time, the Cowboys’ only path to the BCS seemed to be a Big 12 championship, and with Kansas State riding high, that appeared out of the question.
But now there’s a clear path to OSU making the Fiesta Bowl. It’s unlikely. A long shot. But possible. And here’s how it works:
* OSU must win out. Beat Texas Tech, OU and Baylor. That would make the Cowboys 9-3.
* OSU must reach the top 14 of the BCS. The Cowboys are 24th this week; if they beat No. 23 Tech, OSU clearly will rise, probably to the 21 range or so. At this point of the season, voters particularly are looking for someone to vote for past 16 or 17. OSU should be in the 20-21 range with a win over Tech. A win over OU would boost the Cowboys tremendously, perhaps into the top 14. If not, at least knocking on the door. Then a win over Baylor would have the Cowboys in the safe range.
* Kansas State must win out. If KSU wins out, it’s Big Bowl-bound, and the Fiesta Bowl would be looking for a team to choose. The Fiesta’s agreement with the Big 12 includes the provision that if the Fiesta has the opportunity to pick an at-large team, and a Big 12 is eligible and available, the Fiesta will pick the the Big 12 team.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16804Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8821OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6453Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5885Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5756OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4970Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4920Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3637Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3548Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3516As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients