Big 12 football: Weekly rankings
The weekly Big 12 rankings, this time with a comment on best case/worst case scenario:
1. Kansas State (7-1, 10-1): I suppose you could conjure a scenario by which the Wildcats get back in the Big Bowl, but it would require a long series of unlikely results. So beat Texas, and it’s the Fiesta Bowl, against Oregon or an SEC team. Lose to Texas, and shades of 1998, KSU could fall all the way to the Alamo Bowl.
2. Oklahoma (6-1, 8-2): Beat OSU and TCU, and OU could make the Fiesta Bowl if Texas beats K-State. Split those games, to finish 9-3, and the Sooners could be looking at the Cotton Bowl, but most likely the Alamo Bowl, since the Cotton would like Texas. It’s hard to imagine OU falling below the Alamo Bowl, to which it’s never been.
3. Texas (5-2, 8-2): Beat TCU and K-State, and the Longhorns could make the Fiesta Bowl, if OSU beats OU. That could create a four-way tie, and Texas figures to be the highest-rated team in such a scenario. If OU wins Bedlam but loses to TCU, there could be a three-way tie, and again, the ‘Horns figure to win the BCS tiebreaker. If Texas splits its final two, the Cotton seems likely. Or if Texas sweeps and OU wins out, the ‘Horns could squeeze into the Sugar Bowl, perhaps against Texas A&M. It’s hard to imagine UT falling below the Cotton, even at 8-4.
4. OSU (5-2, 7-3): If the Cowboys win out, they could make a case for the BCS, since they might get into the BCS top 14, and there will be a dearth of available teams. If Texas found itself in the BCS, OSU could become a Cotton Bowl pick at 9-3. At 8-4 — the Cowboys finish with Bedlam and at Baylor — OSU is probably Alamo Bowl bound, although it could fall to the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl or Holiday Bowl if the Big 12 doesn’t get a second team in the BCS. If OSU loses out, it could be Holiday bound or even Houston bowl bound.
5. Texas Tech (4-4, 7-4): The Red Raiders are solidly ranked. They have beaten every team below them in these rankings, lost to every team above them. If Tech beats Baylor to finish 8-4, it could make the Alamo Bowl, with the Buffalo Wild Wings in Tempe an option, too. If Tech loses to Baylor, the Wild Wings bowl remains a prime option, along with the Houston bowl.
6. Iowa State (3-5, 6-5): The ISU-West Virginia winner could be Holiday Bowl bound. Neither has played in the San Diego bowl, and that appeals to Holiday officials. The ISU-WVU loser could be headed for New York City and the Pinstripe Bowl.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10959Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10925Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9866Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9099Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5228Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4380Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3947OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3633Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3584How to help tornado victims
- 3499Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients