Oklahoma State football: Walsh, Chelf lead Big 12
OSU has passed around its quarterback job so much — let’s see; four games for J.W. Walsh, 31/2 games for Wes Lunt, 21/2 for Clint Chelf — that none of the Cowboys qualify to be included in the Big 12 passing statistics.
But if they did, here’s how they would rank: Chelf first, Walsh second. In the entire Big 12.
Chelf’s passing efficiency rating of 165.89 would lead the Big 12. Walsh’s 165.61 would rank second. Texas’ David Ash leads the qualified, at 161.7. Here’s the rest of the list: West Virginia’s Geno Smith 159.3, Texas Tech’s Seth Doege 156.3, Baylor’s Nick Florence 155.2, Kansas State’s Collin Klein 155.0, OU’s Landry Jones 151.5, TCU’s Trevone Boykin 129.8, Iowa State’s Steele Jantz 120.3 and Kansas’ Dayne Crist 97.7. Lunt would rank ninth, behind Landry and ahead of Boykin, if he was included.
That’s an amazing display of efficiency from a variety of quarterbacks.
“It’s been an unusual season, but very gratifying for our coaching staff — myself included — and our players,” Mike Gundy said. “It starts with the three young men who have played quarterback for us. I think the best way to describe it is sometimes when you have a quarterback controversy or a two- or three-quarterback system, team members can pick a side. That hasn’t happened with our team and we’ve been very fortunate.
“I think the reason why is all three players are unselfish. They come from good families and are raised right. They’ve bought into the system and the supporting staff has been very good. That’s been its own soap opera for the most part, but a good one.”
The quarterback rotation, caused by injuries to Lunt, then Walsh, then Lunt again, has resulted in some strange statistics.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 29552Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 26325Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8457Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7892Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients