Big 12 football: Texas Tech job losing luster
The University of Cincinnati football job is not better than Texas Tech’s. But that didn’t keep Tommy Tuberville in Lubbock.
Tech lost its football coach to a school that has been cast to No Man’s Land. Cincy is stuck in the Big East, which at times has been the Big Beast in basketball and the Big Least in football but now is mostly the Big Feast — other conferences have pilfered its best football schools.
But Tuberville bolted anyway, perhaps thinking his Tech shelf life was short while also looking longingly at the trajectory of Cincinnati coaches.
The last three Cincy coaches: Mark Dantonio, who left for the Michigan State job; Brian Kelly, who has found some success at Notre Dame; and Butch Jones, who just went to Tennessee.
Tuberville, who knows a thing or two about winning big, having gone 12-0 at Auburn in 2004, would rather coach at Tennessee than Texas Tech, so he decided Cincinnati was a way to take a step back to take two steps forward.
And Tech is indicted as being a lesser job than what it once was. Until Tech fired Mike Leach before the 2009 Alamo Bowl, the Red Raiders had two head coaches in 24 years. Spike Dykes coach Tech 14 years, then Mike Leach came aboard for 10. Lubbock was a bastion of stability.
But Tech fired Leach for non-football purposes, and now Tuberville has fled the scene. Tech’s job has fallen down the food chain. Tennessee can’t hire OSU’s coach, but Tech’s coach fled town for a shaky job in hopes of getting to a Tennessee-level.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients