Oklahoma football: Sorry, Colorado
I often joke that I don’t miss Colorado being in the Big 12, primarily because I always had a hard time remembering the Buffs were even in the league, much less gone. Then came Monday, when I did a chart on the Big 12 expatriates and how they’ve done. You can read the chart and the column here. But a word of warning. I completely forgot to include Colorado.
I did the chart including Texas A&M, Nebraska and Missouri. I just didn’t finish. Didn’t add in Colorado. And nobody seemed to mind.
In all fairness, here is the chart I would have done on Colorado.
Since leaving: 2010, went 3-10 overall and 2-7 in the Pac-12. 2011, went 1-11 and 1-8.
Big 12 legacy: Dominated the Big 12 north from 2001-05, winning four division titles, when the North was way down. Won the 2001 Big 12 title. But last four seasons in the Big 12, CU’s league record was 2-6, 2-6, 4-4, 2-6.
Pac-12 outlook: Dismal. The Buffs fired coach Jon Embree after two seasons and hired San Jose State’s Mike McIntyre. But CU has limited financial resources, inadequate facilities and a fan base that has lost interest. The Buffs are in a division with Southern Cal, UCLA, Arizona State, Arizona and Utah. None are setting the gridiron on fire, but all are miles ahead of Colorado.
Biggest downside: The Buffs left a manageable division for a tougher division. But truth is, CU would have struggled even in the Big 12 North. Colorado culturally is more aligned with the Pac than the Big 12. It’s probably better off out West.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11499Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8698Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 7434How to help tornado victims
- 4914Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 2111Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 1490Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 1406Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 954Hospitals treat more than 120 after Oklahoma tornado
- 936Expert rips Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's handling of murder case
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients