Big 12 football: Familiar faces in power positions
I don’t really know what Jonathan Beasley is doing these days. Or Mark Farris. Or Aso Pogi, Dylen Smith, B.J. Tiger, Mike Moschetti, Randy McCown, Jermaine Alfred or Darius Outlaw. Eric Crouch, being a Heisman winner, should be easy to find. And Mack Brown will know where Chris Simms is, ready to have his left-hander’s back. And old Sage Rosenfels played in the NFL as recently as last season and was on the Viking roster earlier this season, so he could be tracked down.
But the rest of the Big 12 quarterbacks from 1999-2000? They are easy to spot. Three of them could be calling plays on Big 12 sidelines.
Josh Heupel and Major Applewhite are the offensive coordinators at their alma maters, and Kliff Kingsbury could be the head coach at his.
The college coaching carousel has made for a variety of interesting storylines, including this: three Big 12 passers from not so long ago could be in position of great power.
Heupel already is OU’s offensive coordinator, and after reports that he turned down an offer to be Louisiana Tech’s head coach, Heupel figures to remain with the Sooners in 2013.
Texas offensive coordinator Bryan Harsin has become the head coach at Arkansas State, and reports out of Austin say Applewhite will be promoted to chief of the Longhorn offense.
And with the Texas Tech head coaching job open, Kingsbury has emerged as a prime candidate for the school he quarterbacked as recently as 2002. Kingsbury is the offensive coordinator at Texas A&M, which sports a 10-2 record and Heisman Trophy-winning QB Johnny Manziel as it readies for a Cotton Bowl showdown against OU.
That’s three Big 12 quarterbacks from 1999-00 who could be running Big 12 offenses barely a decade later. Amazing.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16614OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14171Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13556Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10806Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9444Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7747Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7539Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7474'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 7103Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 7093Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients