Louisiana Tech football: It’s who you know
Louisiana Tech has named a football coach. Skip Holtz will coach the Bulldogs. You can’t make this stuff up.
No offense to Skip, who has been a solid coach at Connecticut and East Carolina and, for awhile, South Florida, though he was unceremoniously fired this season. But Louisiana Tech’s coaching hires have become quite interesting. Let’s review.
* Skip Holtz, son of Lou Holtz, of ESPN fame. Lou Holtz once coached Notre Dame and Arkansas and North Carolina State, among others.
* Holtz replaces Sonny Dykes, son of Spike Dykes, the 13-year coach at Texas Tech. Sonny Dykes just left for California.
* Dykes replaced Derek Dooley, the son of Vince Dooley, the 25-year coach at Georgia. Derek Dooley left for Tennessee, where he was just fired.
* Dooley replaced Jack Bicknell Jr., the son of Jack Bicknell, the 10-year coach at Boston College, including during the Doug Flutie days. Bicknell Jr. was fired at La Tech.
Amazing. Four straight Louisiana Tech coaches, going back into the 1990s, are the sons of major-college coaches. Successful ones at that. Vince Dooley is a Georgia legend. Lou Holtz is a Notre Dame icon. Both won national championships. Spike Dykes was much-beloved in Lubbock, even if he was forced out after 1999. And Jack Bicknell Sr. coached BC to its greatest heights.
It’s clear that Louisiana Tech — through multiple administrations and athletic directors — is trying to capture family glory. I don’t know who’s next. Sean Snyder. Lane Kiffin. Terry Bowden. Tommy Bowden. There will be options for Louisiana Tech, when Skip Holtz moves along. And we know what direction La Tech will go.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 22453Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12179Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10764Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9050Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8838Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8708Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8233Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7164Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 7066UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients