Oklahoma State football: Will Mike Gundy need two coordinators?
Is Bill Young about to coach his final OSU football game? That certainly would a large legion of Cowboy fans happy, though it wouldn’t necessarily insure better State defense. Young’s unit was very good in 2011, when OSU won the Big 12 title, and not so good in 2012, when the Cowboys slipped to 7-5.
I hadn’t even thought about Young retiring or be nudged out the door, but then he told our Jenni Carlson that he didn’t know what the future held. You can read her Sunday column here.
Young basically said he didn’t know if he would be back in 2013, and when people talk like that, it usually means they aren’t coming back. Young had health problems during the season, he’s past retirement age and he’s certainly had a superb career. He coordinated Kansas’ defense to an Orange Bowl victory and OSU’s defense to a Fiesta Bowl victory, and go find the coach who can match that.
But Young admitted to frustrations over OSU’s 2012 defense. Maybe he’s ready to step aside, or maybe Mike Gundy has talked to Young about bowing out gracefully.
What kind of bind would OSU be in if Gundy had to replace two coordinators? It’s certainly not ideal. But surely Gundy always keeps a short list of both offensive and defensive coordinator candidates. Lots of coaches will be clamoring for those jobs, especially the offensive side, which has become a door to a solid head coaching opportunity. Getting a defensive coordinator to take over a Big 12 defense job is a tougher sell, but if you’re successful, you’re a genius.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients