Oklahoma football: Kevin Sumlin’s Sooner ties
Seems like forever since Kevin Sumlin coached on Bob Stoops’ OU staff, 2003-2007. But in reality, it hasn’t been that long. Sumlin actually recruited some of the current Sooners.
David King, for example. The fifth-senior senior was recruited by Sumlin before Sumlin took the Houston U. head coaching job in December 2007. Two months later, King signed a letter of intent with OU. Now King finishes his Sooner career in the Cotton Bowl against Texas A&M, which a year ago hired Sumlin as its head coach.
“Real cool dude,” King said of Sumlin. “He told you what it was like here. Just kind of players and coaches we have around here.”
Players told King that Sumlin “was one of the cooler coaches on the team. Better for him he got the job at the University of Houston. It didn’t have any impact on me coming here.”
Sumlin had been A&M’s offensive coordinator under R.C. Slocum but lost that gig when Slocum was fired. Stoops hired Sumlin to coach wide receivers.
Stoops said he was drawn to “all the positive things you see from Kevin. He’s bright, got an excellent offensive mind, great worker, relates with kids. He’s competitive. Kevin has all the great qualities you need.”
Sumlin ushered the Aggies into the SEC, with resounding success.
“I was just excited for him and the opportunity,” Stoops said. “They’ve transitioned in an excellent way.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6223Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5055Oklahoma City psychiatrist fined $25K for letting students write prescriptions
- 4821Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients