NFL playoffs: NFC parity continues
The 49ers play the Falcons on Sunday in the NFC Championship Game. Neither has played in a Super Bowl since the 1900s. No one should be surprised. The NFC routinely puts a fresh face in the Super Bowl.
Last season, the Giants ended one of the great parity runs of sports history. The G-Men’s survival of San Francisco last season ended a stretch of 10 franchises winning the conference over 10 years. Starting with the 2001 season, the NFC champs were the Rams, Buccaneers, Panthers, Eagles, Seahawks, Bears, Giants, Cardinals, Saints and Packers. That’s a phenomenal run of parity. Nothing like it ever before in any sport.
Over that same span, only four AFC franchises won the conference: New England four, Pittsburgh three, Indianapolis two and Oakland one (yes, the 2002 Raiders won the AFC).
The NFC’s streak ended when the 49ers’ Kyle Williams fumbled those punts last January, allowing the Giants to win the NFC title game. Otherwise, the NFC would be 11-in-11, with Atlanta having the opportunity to go 12-for-12.
As it is, the 2012 NFC title participants guarantee the conference an 11th franchise winning one of the last 12 NFC titles.
It’s a remarkable conference. Check out the franchises that WON’T be on the Super Bowl list for the last 12 years:
* The 49er-Falcon loser. Both appear set with talented rosters, solid front offices and young, franchise quarterbacks. It wouldn’t be kooky to think that the NFC could make it 12 in 13 years next January.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4180Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3744Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 3718Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients