Washington, D.C. sports: Nats & Skins similarities
My brother often sends me cool ideas and insights. Including this one from over the weekend. A comparison of the hot teams in our nation’s capital.
The Nationals and Redskins had great seasons. Resurgent seasons.
The Nationals brought playoff baseball back to Washington for the first time since 1933. Talk about your droughts.
By comparison, the Redskins had missed out on the playoffs only since 2007. But Washington hadn’t won a division title or hosted a playoff game since 1999.
So this was quite an autumn/early winter in Washington, which is not a great sports town in terms of success. The NBA Wizards haven’t reached the playoffs since 2008, haven’t won a playoff series since 2005 and have won just two playoff series since the 1979 NBA Finals. The hockey Washington Capitals have fared better, reaching the playoffs five straight years and winning a playoff series in three of those seasons. The Caps reached the Stanley Cup Finals in 1998 but still seek their first NHL championship.
So it’s a destitute sports town compared to most cities with multiple franchises.
And now Washington is star-crossed. And here’s my brother’s point. The Nationals and the Redskins were heavily criticized after playoff losses following the 2012 season.
The Nats were criticized for not playing their superstar — Stephen Strasburg didn’t pitch after Sept. 7, as the Nats decided to protect his shoulder, or at least follow through on an agreement to not pitch him past a certain number of innings. Without Strasburg, Washington lost the National League semifinals to St. Louis, three games to two. Hard to imagine Strasburg not making the difference in at least one of those defeats.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients