Rapid reaction: OU cruises past Baylor for 90-76 win in Norman
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
OU took care of business Saturday, jumping out to an early lead and cruising to a 90-76 win over Baylor. Here’s some rapid reaction:
OU ended the first half on a dominant 18-1 run, turning a nice early lead into a 26-point blowout at the break. It was a offensive clinic from Lon Kruger’s Sooners, with perfect execution, matched by overall ineptitude from Scott Drew’s Bears, missing shots, committing silly fouls and showing visible frustration. A microcosm of the coaching matchup.
It was over when…
…Baylor’s frantic second half runs, which included a 13-2 push and a 9-4 spurt, were too little, too late. The Bears dug themselves too deep an early hole. And not even their superior talent or streaky point guard could shoot them out of it. The Sooners, like they’ve done all year, showed great poise and an ability to make clutch shots to close out big wins at home.
Star of the game – Sam Grooms
In the first 22 games of the season, OU’s seldom-used point guard had a combined 54 points, rarely playing and hardly contributing. His season-high before Bedlam last Saturday was seven. But in the past three games, with his role expanding after Buddy Hield’s injury, Grooms has nearly matched that 22-game scoring output, putting up 53 in the past three. He scored 18 in Bedlam, 12 against Texas Tech and a career-high 23 on Saturday against Baylor, including a 15/17 showing from the free throw line. Impressive work from the senior.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19478Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17081OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14402Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9893Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 9505Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7874Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7743Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7139Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6156Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 5570Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients