2014 prospect to watch: Union WR Jeffrey Mead
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
Mike Gundy had a prime seat for the Union-Stillwater hoops game Saturday night, rocking a camo hat and enjoying his son’s high school battle deep into overtime of the state playoffs.
Stillwater would eventually lose, 76-71, at the hands of the defending state champs. And the main reason for that — Union star forward Jeffrey Mead — also provided another hint as to why Gundy decided to make an appearance.
Mead was terrific throughout the second half, drilling a trio of threes and putting an explosive exclamation point on his team-high 27 points with two highlight dunks (see above video).
But basketball, at this point, doesn’t look like his likely college sport. Don’t get me wrong, the potential of this lanky 6-foot-6 forward should appeal to several Division I programs. And he may eventually choose that route.
But his skills as a wideout (33 catches for 614 yards and seven touchdowns as a junior at Union) may provide the most direct path to college stardom. And that’s the way some schools already feel.
In recent weeks, OU, Oklahoma State and Clemson have offered Mead, with more interest and offers likely to come.
The Tulsa World’s Bill Haisten wrote a nice piece on Mead recently, detailing his athletic exploits in a number of sports (he is also a star baseball player). You can read it by clicking here.
In it, Mead doesn’t commit either way, telling Haisten, “I don’t know what I’ll do. It’s too early. It just depends on what the best option winds up being.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 17374Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 16681Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 7769Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients