Rapid reaction: OU shocked by wild Texas rally, loses 92-85 in Austin
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
Oklahoma blew a 22-point second half lead and lost to Texas in overtime on Wednesday. Here’s some rapid reaction:
OU held a commanding 22-point lead with less than eight minutes to play. The Sooners were shooting over, rolling through and dunking on Texas with relative ease, capped off by a ferocious Amath M’Baye alley-oop with 7:56 left to play. It was all but over. And, in an act of showmanship, M’Baye punctuated the dunk with a ‘Horns Down’ sign. Then everything changed. UT went on a frantic 32-10 run at the end of regulation, sending it to overtime on a Myck Kabango buzzer beater. Did the ‘Horns Down’ sign inspire it? I’m not so sure. But that’s certain to be the postgame talk. Take a look below.
It was over when…
…Texas rolled over that momentum to the extra period, finishing the game on a ridiculous 47-19 run. OU seemed mentally drained and a bit shocked after blowing the lead, while the Longhorns fed off a small but suddenly inspired crowd.
Star of the game – Myck
The game-tying floater (shown below) was a thing of awkward beauty, but that’s not all the lighting quick point guard did. Check the loaded stat line for UT’s talented sophomore: 31 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals. Think the Longhorns are happy to have Kabongo back?
What it means
There was some late talk by the announcers that this could potentially knock OU out of the tournament. I think that’s a bit premature. Certainly, this was a disastrous loss for OU. Probably the worst of the Kruger era. But OU still has a solid RPI, good victories on its resume and three very winnable upcoming games. But it certainly makes the margin for error a bit slimmer.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients