Oklahoma’s postseason trips in the last 10 years
Yesterday, I wrote about how it’s possible that Oklahoma’s men’s basketball team could possibly still be withheld from the dance, but it would take two losses this week to West Virginia and TCU.
However, there still is a possibility that the Sooners do make the tournament for the first time in four years.
Here’s the history of Oklahoma’s postseason trips throughout the last 10 seasons.
2002-2003: Oklahoma ended the regular season 21-6, 12-4 and then went on to win the Big 12 Championship, beating Missiouri in the final game 49-47. They earned the No. 1 seed in the East Regional and made it to the Elite Eight before they lost to Syracuse, 63-47. The Orange went on to win the national title.
2003-2004: The Sooners struggled in conference play, making it to .500 on their final game of the regular season when they beat Baylor. Oklahoma went into the Big 12 Tournament as the seventh seed but lost in the second round and was kept from the NCAA tournament. They did receive a bid to the National Invitation Tournament where they beat LSU before falling to Michigan.
2004-2005: Kelvin Sampson’s Sooners bounced back this season going 23-6, 12-4. They were ranked in the AP Top 25 and ended the regular season at No. 20. Their 12-4 Big 12 record earned them the No. 2 seed in the league tournament. They were bounced in the second round of that tournament by Texas Tech. They did make the NCAA tournament as a No. 3 seed but lost in the second round to Utah.
2005-2006: The Sooners went 20-7, 11-5 during their regular season. However, Oklahoma lost in the first round of the Big 12 tournament and NCAA Tournament to Nebraska and Horizon League’s Wisconsin – Milwaukee, respectively. Kelvin Sampson went to coach Indiana after the season.
2006-2007: Jeff Capel was hired. Oklahoma went 16-15 overall and posted a 6-10 league record. They were withheld from the NCAA and NIT tournaments, which ended a 25-year postseason streak — the longest one in NCAA Div. I history at the time.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15918Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8813OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6389Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5669Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5503OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4915Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4833Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3560Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3491Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3466As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients