Oklahoma assistant Jay Boulware responds to Wisconsin’s Gary Andersen
NORMAN — Earlier this week, Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen expressed his disappointment that tight ends and special teams coach Jay Boulware left his program after only two months to take the same position at Oklahoma.
“It’s upsetting,” Andersen said. “I brought the wrong guy in here. … I don’t like the timing of it. I don’t like the situation at all.”
Asked about Andersen’s comments Wednesday, Boulware said his decision was all about family.
Boulware, who was born in Oklahoma City and played college football at Texas, still has lots of family in the Sooner State. His mother lives in Texas.
Just before he accepted the Wisconsin job, his aunt was hit by a car in Oklahoma, Boulware said. He remembered his mother calling him in distress because she couldn’t get from Texas to Oklahoma to check on her sister.
He said his aunt, who is around 60-years old, is doing better, but is now paralyzed.
“I live by that creed … it’s my faith; it’s my family; and then it’s football,” Boulware said. “(Andersen has) gotta run his program. He’s gotta do what’s best for him at Wisconsin. But again, it’s faith, family and football. And I think most people understand that.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 27538Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15649Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10393Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9809Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9381Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8402Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8325Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7545Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7311Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6526UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients