Rapid reaction: OU beats West Virginia 83-70 in home finale
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
OU held off West Virginia 83-70 on Wednesday for another home win. Here’s some rapid reaction:
Despite an unappealing brand of basketball, led by Mountaineer man Deniz Kilicli, West Virginia found a way to stick in this far longer than most expected. They even cut OU’s lead to four with less than five minutes to go. But then Andrew Fitzgerald, in his final home game at Oklahoma, took over for a brief stretch, putting in an and-1 layup, hitting the free throw and then drilling a jumper moments later.
It was over when…
…Steven Pledger capped that Fitzgerald 5-0 run with a long three of his own, bumping what was a wavering four-point lead up to a 12-point cushion. That was far too much for WVU’s stagnant offense to overcome in the final minutes.
Star of the game – Romero Osby
All the seniors performed well. But just like most of the season, Osby stood out. He went for 26 points (on 9/14 shooting) and six rebounds, physically controlling the interior and consistently hitting big shots. What a two-year run he has had in Norman, bringing the Sooners exactly what they hoped (and more) upon his transfer from Mississippi State. It’ll be a shame if he’s left off the All-Big 12 First Team.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients