Oklahoma’s quarterback battle ranked as the nation’s third-most important
NORMAN — Oklahoma’s quarterback derby — its first since 2007 — is the most important position battle entering the Sooners’ 2013 season.
CBSSports.com’s Bruce Feldman deemed the race to replace four-year starter Landry Jones as important nationally, too.
Feldman ranked the battle between Blake Bell, Trevor Knight and Kendal Thompson as the third-most important quarterback battle of the offseason, behind Florida State and USC.
From Feldman’s report:
“Blake Bell saw a lot of action at OU last season but it was as a short-yardage weapon. Can the 6-6, 254-pounder consistently make the throws to elevate the Sooners back to being a Top 10 team? Remarkably, Bell actually has more rushing TDs in his career (24) than passes attempted (20) at OU. Could Bell blossom this year into being the Sooners’ version of Collin Klein? Bob Stoops’ other options here are redshirt freshman Trevor Knight, a fleet-footed Texan and Kendal Thompson, son of former OU QB Charles Thompson. One thing is for certain: whoever wins this job will be more of a running threat than Landry Jones was. Meanwhile, the Sooners have more than their share of issues on defense too, where they have to replace seven starters.”
Oklahoma State’s quarterback derby between Clint Chelf, Wes Lunt and s came in at No. 5 on Feldman’s list; also included were Big 12 teams TCU (7), Kansas State (8) and West Virginia (tied at 10).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 3568Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3561Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3556How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients