Tom Wort talks his decision to leave OU: ‘It was my time to take my shot at the next level’
NORMAN — Tom Wort shocked lots of people around Oklahoma when he decided to skip his senior season and declare for the 2013 NFL Draft.
Apparently, NFL coaches, scouts and executives were a little surprised, too.
Wort, who worked out Wednesday at Oklahoma’s Pro Day, said talking to coaches at last month’s NFL Scouting Combine was good because, “That really helped, being in front of them and kind of explaining things.”
Asked what he needed to explain, he responded, “Just explaining the reason I decided to come out.”
Wort said he left because he’d graduated and felt like this was his shot to fulfill his dream of playing in the NFL.
“The fact that I graduated was a huge part of it,” Wort said. “I came to OU to get a degree and play football, and just thought it was my time to take my shot at the next level.”
Wort was relatively open last season about his frustration in Mike Stoops’ new defensive scheme, which often didn’t include linebackers.
“I mean, somewhat,” Wort responded when asked if that played a role in his decision.
“For the most part, I just wanted to get to the next level. It’s been my dream, and I had the opportunity. I got my degree, so I decided to take it.”
Wort ran a 4.75 on his first 40-yard dash attempt Wednesday, but strained his hamstring on his second attempt. He said the injury isn’t serious, and he’ll be OK in a few days.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16859Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12191OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11527'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11272Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11209Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9827Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7998Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6986Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6951Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5788Oklahoma Corrections Department director to resign
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients