Landry Jones shrugs off tough start at Sooners Pro Day
BY RYAN ABER
NORMAN–More than 20 players at least went through the measurement phase of Oklahoma’s Pro Day on Wednesday at the Everest Training Center.
Plenty of the attention was on the performance of quarterback Landry Jones.
Jones did not participate in any of the skills testing portion of the event but did throw for the NFL scouts and executives in attendance.
All 32 NFL teams had at least one representative at the event.
After a rough start that included a wobbly deep ball, Jones settled in to his throwing session. He threw to receivers including fellow draft-eligible player Kenny Stills, former OU receivers Cameron Kenney and Mark Clayton and former San Diego State standout Brett Swain.
“That first ball didn’t come out necessarily the way I wanted to but sometimes it happens on that deep ball stuff,” Jones said. “We got a good laugh out of it and once that was over, played ball and threw it well.
“I think it might’ve been just a little nerves. I tried to overthrow it.”
Jones’ quarterback coach, George Whitfield, helped shape the agenda for Jones’ Pro Day appearance.
“Today’s workout was representative of what teams want to see,” Whitfield said. “Some of their questions about arm strength—you know a guy’s throwing 60-70 balls a game—they want to see his arm strength. They definitely wan to see his agility and mobility.”
Some of the drills had “defenders” putting simulated pressure on Jones with brooms.
Jones will be a first-round pick, Whitfield said.
“They may not have had the kind of season they wanted here at Oklahoma and Landry may not be the household name as some of his other counterparts are but when they boil it all down to what’s most important, he’ll figure his way into the first round.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients