Rapid reaction: OU falls 73-66 to Iowa State, eliminated from Big 12 tourney
By Anthony Slater – Aslater@opubco.com - @anthonyVslater
After blowing a 13-point second half lead, OU fell 73-66 to Iowa State in Kansas City. Here’s some rapid reaction:
OU’s Austin nightmares reappeared in Kansas City. Just like against Texas, the Sooners completely controlled the game for 30 minutes, comfortably leading by double-digits heading to the final stretch. Then, ISU shot itself right back in it. And OU had no answer. Down 60-48, the Cyclones went on a quick 12-0 run to tie it, starting with Georges Niang’s three and closing with this Will Clyburn stepback dagger:
It was over when…
…the Sooners failed to respond. Adversity hit, the streaky Cyclones started hitting shots, and OU backed into a hole. They couldn’t buy a basket or protect their own down the stretch. In all, Iowa State closed the game on a 25-6 run. Rough loss.
What it means?
OU’s solidified NCAA tourney status is now wavering. I still think the Sooners are in, but they’ll be sweating come Selection Sunday. The Texas and Iowa State collapses, which sandwiched the TCU nightmare, were all disastrous. Almost inexcusable at this time of the year. But does that override what came before it? We’ll see. As for the Cyclones, they should be securely in with this win.
Star of the game – Melvin Ejim
ISU’s shooters started hitting down the stretch, but big man Melvin Ejim kept them in it all game. At only 6-foot-6, Ejim led the Big 12 in rebounding, using his toughness and nose for the ball to dominate the paint. On Thursday, he had game-highs of 23 points and 12 rebounds, consistently beating OU to loose balls late in the game.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients