Oklahoma football: Farewell to a Sooner hero
Steve Davis died Sunday. A plane crash in South Bend, Ind. Another Sooner football hero gone.
One of the pleasures of my career has been getting to know people that I once admired from afar.
Like Don Haskins. The Bear is an American original, a basketball legend, but before he died a few years ago, I got to know him. I went out to El Paso 12-13 years ago, did a story on him and he took to calling me every once in awhile, just to talk about OSU basketball. Hadn’t played in Stillwater in more than half a century but still felt a connection to his school.
And like Steve Davis. I got to know Steve in the last few years. We were together at functions, or I would call him for some OU story of some kind, and he would occasionally call or email me just to talk Sooner football.
I’m going to write for the Tuesday Oklahoman how Davis in many ways was a quintessential Oklahoman. But for now, I thought I would share a few memories with you.
If you want some great reads, here is Jenni Carlson’s column from 2007, with Steve talking about how he changed his life.
And my column from 2009, when all five OU national title quarterbacks convened for a book signing in Norman, which you can read here.
And here is Jason Kersey’s collected wisdom with Steve Davis from 2012.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21368Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17546Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12345Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9430Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9175Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9080Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8212Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 7912Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 5969OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5028Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients