Oklahoma football: More on Steve Davis
Lots of people have weighed in on Steve Davis, the iconic OU quarterback who died Sunday in a plane crash at the age of 60. But I heard from Sam Muzny, a reserve lineman in the early 1970s who now lives in Prague and emails me from time to time with tales from the old days. Sam always has interesting things to say, so I thought I would share them with you.
“He was a termite,” Muzny said. That’s the term used for the scout team. “In 1972, he was listed as the No. 6 or 7 QB. Dave Robertson was our starting QB and Kerry Jackson was amazing. Steve Davis was behind Scott Hill. I cannot remember the QB from Enid (Jeff Mabry), who could really throw the ball, but he was ahead of Steve Davis. Scott Hill was moved to defense because of Kerry Jackson. Steve in 1972 took almost every snap as the Termite Squad QB running the scout team offenses.
“Davis never bitched or whined, he just did it, and was solid. In the spring of 1973, OU had to look for a starting QB. Others were faster, more talented and could throw better. Steve Davis did not (screw) up! From his Termite days on busted plays, Davis would eat the ball, just fall on it and cut his losses. All the other QBs would force a bad play, causing a turnover. Davis quickly moved to the top of the roster.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients