Tennis: OU wins at Wichita
The University of Oklahoma men’s tennis team dominated play Saturday at the 2007-08 Shocker Invitational.
Oklahoma opened with three doubles matches wins against Wichita State.
Freshman Ionut Beleleu and senior Ryan Thomas defeated Albert Ballesta and Thiago Dos Santos, 8-5. Freshman Alex Joitoiu and freshman Vlad Marinescu defeated Tiago Espirito Santo and Adrian Chermaci, 8-6. Junior Sergey Avdeyev and Branden Joost defeated Scott McCormick and Rodrigo Briceno, 8-1.
“I am really proud of the way we competed today and the way in which we took care of our business,” head coach Paul Lockwood said.The Sooners and Shockers continued play in the afternoon as the two schools switched to singles play.
Avdeyev defeated Ballesta, 6-3, 6-2. Marinescu defeated Chermaci, 6-2, 6-3. Joitoiu defeated Dos Santos, 6-7 (5), 6-4, 10-3. Thoamas defeated Kevin Gardner,7-6, 6-1.
Espirito Santo defeated Beleleu, 4-6, 7-5, 10-6.
The event, which runs through Sunday, will follow an individual format with singles and doubles flights. A winner will be determined by a point system.
“I thought our freshmen handled themselves very well for their first collegiate event. We have a chance to continue to play excellent tennis and build confidence at the beginning of the season and we need to make sure we do that tomorrow,” Lockwood continued.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13851OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 13814Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9624Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7322Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 7022Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5771Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5205Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5056Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4611Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4176Several factors come into play on whether Kevin Martin returns to Thunder
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients