Gymnastics: OU beats No. 10 Nebraska
The third-ranked Oklahoma men’s gymnastics team claimed its second straight victory over No. 10 Nebraska and Air Force Sunday at the Bob Devaney Center in Lincoln, Neb. The Sooners scored a 349.700 to beat the second place Huskers (341.400). Air Force finished third with a 323.650. Oklahoma defeated both programs en route to a season-opening win at the Rocky Mountain Open, Jan. 12, in Colorado Springs, Colo.
“We put together a pretty solid meet all the way through,” head coach Mark Williams said. “I’m pleased with what we’ve done through our first two meets.”
OU’s Steven Legendre added to the stellar start to his freshman season, scoring an 87.650 to take his second consecutive all-around title. Junior Kyle McNamara, runner-up in the all-around to Legendre at last week’s Rocky Mountain Open, also finished second on Sunday with an 83.750 total.
In addition to his all-around crown, Legendre was once again champion on the floor exercise, scoring a 15.450. The Port Jefferson, N.Y., native also finished third on the parallel bars (14.600) and high bar (14.900) and was fourth on the pommel horse with a 13.700.
Also claiming event titles for the Sooners were junior Jason Laughton and freshman Bobby Shortle. Shortle, a walk-on, was the vault champion with a team season-best 15.900, while Laughton tied Nebraska’s Kyle Shanahan (15.000) for first place on the high bar.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients