Gymnastics: OU women ranked 6th
The OU women’s gymnastics squad jumped to sixth in the latest GymInfo rankings, released Monday. The Sooners cruised past host West Virginia, George Washington and William & Mary in Morgantown, W. Va., on Sunday after posting a season-high team score of 196.550.
The Big 12 features three teams ranked in the top-15, led by Oklahoma’s sixth-place standing. Nebraska, who OU faces in its home opener on Friday, is ranked 12th. Missouri stands three spots back at No. 15.
The Sooners are No. 3 in the country on the floor exercise after posting a season-high team score of 49.375 in the event on Sunday. Leading the way on floor is senior All-American Kiara Redmond-Sturms who is tied for the top spot in the country with an event average of 9.931. The Los Angeles, Calif., native has won the event title at all four ’08 events en route to four straight all-around titles. Redmond-Sturms also holds top-10 rankings in the all-around (No. 8) and on vault (No. 9).
Junior Haley DeProspero is ranked sixth on beam with an average score of 9.856. She has taken home the beam title at three events this season.
OU leads all Big 12 foes on bars, floor, beam and team score.
On bars, the Sooners hold four of the top-5 spots in the conference with Redmond-Sturms ranked first (9.862), Stephanie LoPiccolo fourth (9.819) and Ashley Jackson and Hollie Vise tied for fifth (9.775).
DeProspero is second in the conference on beam while Vise stands third (9.831).
Redmond-Sturms (No. 1), Jackson (No. 3) Jessica Kinder (No. 4) and Jackie Flanery (No. 6) hold top-six rankings on the floor.
Friday’s meet with the Cornhuskers is set for 7 p.m. at the Lloyd Noble Center and will also feature both school’s men’s squads.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16804Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8821OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6453Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5885Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5756OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4970Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4920Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3637Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3548Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3516As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients