Women’s hoops: Robinson again Big 12′s top rookie
Following wins against Texas Tech and nationally-ranked Georgia, Oklahoma’s Danielle Robinson was named Phillips 66 Big 12 Rookie of the Week by the league Monday.
It was Robinson’s fourth time to earn the honor. Courtney Paris holds the record for most Rookie of the Week honors with nine in 2005-06.
Robinson averaged 12 points, 6.5 assists and three steals in the Sooners two wins last week – a 78-39 beating of Texas Tech and 65-57 defeat of No. 17/14 Georgia.
The freshman guard’s quick start versus the Red Raiders set the tone of the rout as she scored 10 of her 12 points in the first half on 4-of-5 field goal shooting and a 2-of-2 performance at the free throw line. Robinson totaled six assists to one turnover, three rebound and two steals in just 19 minutes on the court.
Against Georgia, Robinson jumped out to another quick start by scoring eight of her 12 points before the half and had a career high seven assists to go with a brilliant defensive performance. Robinson had four steals and shut down Georgia point guard Ashley Houts, who had entered the contest scoring 13.3 points per game, to a 1-for-6 field goal shooting effort.
With 42 steals in 17 games, Robinson is on pace to break Oklahoma’s single-season freshman record of 74 steals, set by LaNeisha Caufield in 1998-99.
Kansas State junior forward Marlies Gipson was named the conference’s player of the week.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20548Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16464Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11845Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 11178Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9890Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9771Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9386OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5427Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense
- 5123Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 4825Student shot dead during botched home invasion
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients